here’s how the finale really went down:
- in his best man speech ted (finally) called barney his best friend, b/c you can have two best friends seriously, it’s very emotional
- the gang don’t know when they’ll get to hang out again so there’s lots of hugging and shit and they spout one liners about the importance of friendship and i cry a lot
- ted goes over to the girl with the yellow umbrella and the bass and that scene was mostly okay so it can stay EXCEPT
- the mother’s name should Matter right b/c why keep it a secret so long if it wouldn’t sooo her name is leia, like princess leia, and it’s a beautiful counterpoint to ted/stella and it makes sense they called their son luke but didn’t go the whole hog and call the girl leia if that’s the mother’s name — ted says “i’m ted” and she says “i’m…..leia [winces a little]. like the princess, i know.” and ted falls in love on the spot (shout out to kingslayerjaime i am accepting this as canon)
- barney and robin are in love forever and ever and they’d do anything for each other and yeah it’s hard w/ robin travelling all the time but they make it work, b/c home is wherever they’re together, and wherever the gang’s together
- although maybe they do settle down a bit eventually, but they absolutely refuse to live in the suburbs (ted and leia try to do a whole bit where they make the suburbs sound Super Cool but they’re both such giant nerds it has the opposite effect)
- lily definitely doesn’t have three kids, whoa, it’s hard enough juggling two kids w/ her emerging art career — she curates at an art gallery when they come back from rome, it’s pretty sweet, and eventually her own paintings start to sell
- marshall’s life is pretty sweet idk he doesn’t like corporate law but eventually he becomes a judge and stuff yeah marshall u can stay
- leia teaches ted what it really means to Love someone, and he realises that he was never really in love with robin, not how robin and barney were in love, but he loves leia with everything in him but in a healthy and happy way and she has to let go of max, too, and ted isn’t max but she’s starting to believe that maybe there is more than one person out there for everybody, and that maybe it;s okay to be happy — maybe she’s meant to be happy
- leia does die b/c there were a lot of hints leading to that and it’s super sad but ted is by her side all through treatment and he can’t deal with it at all, can’t accept that he’s spent so long waiting for her only for her to be taken from him, and leia tells him about max, the other love of her life, and ted learns that even though it hurts so so much he’s so lucky to have had leia at all, his soulmate, his other half, the girl who gets his stupid fucking jokes and drives out of her way to go to roadside attractions, and sometimes it’s hard b/c it’s hard to grow old together but they grow //together// and she sings him la vie en rose and he cries
- and when she’s dying leia takes ted’s hand and says “tell them how you met me. the long version. how robin and barney fell in love, b/c that’s where it really starts, right? tell them about my umbrella and about all the crazy stuff barney did. about marshall and lily growing up. tell them about the gang and how i somehow managed to needle my way in.” and ted starts crying (omg ted stop crying) and says, “you didn’t needle your way in, you were always part of the gang, we were just waiting for you. i was waiting for you.”
- and ted sits penny and luke down and says “kids, this is the story of how i met your mother.”
- and at the end luke and penny look at each other and luke says “what was that about the pineapple?” and ted says they never found out where it came from and penny says “weird, mom told us a story about a pineapple once —” (b/c you know leia is just as much of a storyteller as ted is)
- FLASHBACK THE NIGHT OF THE PINEAPPLE INCIDENT
- the mother was there
- she was the one that gave him the pineapple
- and that kids, is the story of how i met your mother
The writers stuck with the original ending they had since season 1 - the kids are still clearly the same age as they were in the pilot. In season 1, it would have made sense for Ted to go after Robin because he was still so in love with her.
I’m not saying I’m not feeling … more than slightly betrayed by this move but the ending seemed to be set in stone. And up until Robin received her wedding present, Ted was convinced he was still in love with her. And I think he was a bit.
But I wanted more time with the Mother (Tracy). I very much do think that she was the love of his life. I just think the way they handled the ending was a poor way to go about it.
This entire season took place over a weekend. If they had spent half the season at the wedding - or 3/4 at the max, that would have been enough. The plot lines that were introduced and resolved in the last two episodes would have been much more intriguing than the filler episodes they had.
Also, when you have an entire season revolving around a pairing’s wedding only to break them up in the penultimate episode? Not fair at all. You can’t just expect us to accept that.
We spent nine years invested in these characters. We care about what happens to them and how it affects them. Barney would have thrown himself even further into his shenanigans - which they briefly addressed through the Perfect Month.* But could you imagine what his reaction would have been when he first received the news. Robin threw herself into her work - I want to see a montage of her being a focused reporter all over the world.
Also, I fell in love with the Mother, in what little we knew about her. I wanted to see more of Ted and Tracy’s interactions. I wanted to see how the Mother getting sick affected Ted - he planned to spend a lifetime with her, what did he do when he first found out? Did he immediately search for hours to find the top doctor in New York? Did he arrange for a babysitter so he could be with her at every appointment? At one point, did he just breakdown - tell her he didn’t know what to do without her. He only just found her after what seemed like a lifetime of searching. And near the end did she tell him to move on? She knew the pain of losing the love of a lifetime.
I understand that this was the ending all along. I just wanted more, I wanted better resolution. Back in season 1, I would have been thrilled for this ending but the show changed and the characters changed. As a result, the writing needed to change in order to bring everything back to the beginning.
What if the woman HIMYM showed at the end of the last season isn’t the woman Ted marries but instead she’s the kids’ biological mother because Ted and the woman he marries aren’t able to have children of their own and the stories Ted’s been telling his kids these past seasons have just been a way for Ted to buy time and figure out how to tell his kids they’re adopted
there’s one person I have on facebook who’s 4.5 seasons into HIMYM and she’s complaining about not knowing who the mother is
… I guess she doesn’t keep up with TV in a timely fashion
or has been oblivious to the show for the past 8 years
you know you’ve made it when you’re a jeopardy question.
That is awesome!
Well this is just way too cool
Awesome! I also saw an episode where Fringe was the answer to one of the clues and an entire round of double jeopardy categories were dedicated to How I Met Your Mother.
I officially love Jeopardy.
Y’know Dwight. From The Office.
The list of my favourite actors (that I’ve noticed so far) that have starred/guest starred on Six Feet Under:
- Michael C. Hall (Dexter)
- Peter Krause (Parenthood)
- Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation)
- Zachary Quinto (Heroes, Star Trek)
- Sarah Rafferty (Suits)
- And Rainn Wilson (The Office)
I just… I love this show so much.
- Silas Weir Mitchell (Grimm)
- Kathy Bates (too many roles to mention cause she’s amazing!)
Are you fucking kidding me? I should have waited until the episode was over!
He has this fucking ridiculous mustache. And he swears a lot. Hearing him swear is cute actually. LOL
Wow. I did not see that ending coming.
Ugh. There are so many changes.
It keeps reminding me that the show is ending next season.
Which saddens me to no end.
It also reminds me of how Ted is such a freaking sweetheart. GUH <3
DID ANYONE WATCH HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER TONIGHT????
I NEED TO DISCUSS THIS WITH SOMEONE. ANYBODY.
12:50am: Time to watch all of the Slap episodes? (AKA: the Slapisodes?)
(Gob’s not on board)
"Ooh I wanna take ya…" That line definitely does not help my Ted/Barney shipping tendencies.
I could actually see this working.
This would probably work on me.
Especially if it was NPH…
In the alternate universe where he also goes for women, I have a chance, Fringe is on for an indefinite amount of time, Firefly, and Arrested Development were never cancelled.